Friday, September 23, 2011

Type I Diabetes "invisible illnesses"

1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2003
3. But I had symptoms since: nearly 7 years prior (I had a long honey moon stage.  Thank God)
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: slowing down my active lifestyle due to frequent lows even with a very low dose of insulin
5. Most people assume: Well, I’m not sure what they assume – I think most people probably just don’t know much about it rather than make assumptions. I’d like to think that anyway.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: Praying my fasting glucose is in normal range so I can go for a run 
7. My favorite medical TV show is: Grey's Anatomy, Mystery Diagnosis, House....I'm a medical info junky 
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: My meter. And pump. And iPod- music makes the world a better place
9. The hardest part about nights are: resisting the late night sweet tooth 
10. Each day I take 12 pills & 8 vitamins: plus insulin
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: try to educate myself as much as possible but the only option for Type I is insulin- pump or syringes?
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: neither, but if I had to chose I like that I can open up when I can about invisible illnesses
13. Regarding working and career: It is not entirely due to the diabetes, but I am disabled
14. People would be surprised to know: That my father and sister also have Type I. 3 people in one immediate family is RARE.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: This is not a new reality, but acceptance is an ongoing process
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Learn and remember how to manage food.
17. The commercials about my illness: Rarely have anything to do with Type I, and those that do don't have a big enough impact.
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Not counting carbs
19. It was really hard to have to give up: My steadfast pace in college.  I was diagnosed at age 20. 
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Learning to cook real meals, not boxed
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Go swimming for as long as I'd like, then take a run, then eat whatever I wanted without reading labels.
22. My illness has taught me: How to appreciate the truly important things in life and not to be so superficial.
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "I know so and so who has diabetes and they can (insert activity here), how come you can't."  We are not all the same.
24. But I love it when people: Want to know more to educate themselves
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: Live for today, pray for tomorrow 
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: IT is a lot of information now, but you will be amazed how smart you are.  IT does get easier, and you are not alone.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How ignorant I was about health when I was "healthy"
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Just spending time with me even when I am not the life of the party is the greatest gift.
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: Well, it was back in July.  I just found this on a fellow blogger's sight and thought it was cool.  (see sixuntilme.com)
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Happy that you may have a little more insight, and that you care!

No comments:

Post a Comment