Monday, September 12, 2011

Silver Linings Outshine

It's Monday and all I can think of today is all the wonderful things that happened this weekend.  We had family time, soccer games, football, and church.  I could not think of a better way to spend my time.

Friday afternoon I went to pick up my son from school and that is where the smiles began.  His teacher left a note for me in his folder.  It just happened to be a "good" note.  "Good" notes are only sent home when exceptional things happen.  This is very special because we just had a full evaluation done and learned he has A.D.H.D. as well as anxiety.  Sadly, his anxiety is due to seeing his mother chronically ill.  My husband and I decided for our family that medication will be a last resort.  Luckily, our son has a very patient and understanding teacher as well as a delightful and eager personality himself.  His good behavior has just been increasing everyday and we are so proud.

Saturday morning we woke early for a double header in 6 and under soccer.  I will have to admit, I have never been a soccer fan or player.  The game is totally new to me.  I am now officially addicted.  Not only was the game very exciting and fast paced, the kids are ridiculously adorable.  They play 3 on 3 so I can give you no details about positions or anything.  Just seeing these kids run with such conviction and determination, smiles on their face the whole time, was pure joy.  I am proud to say my 5 year old son made his first goal in his very first game.  It did, however, count for the other team, but in his words, "at least I made a goal".  All I can say to that is, he is absolutely right!  Good job.

Saturday night I sat with my husband in our kitchen talking.  We talked for hours.  I love those nights.  I was telling him how heavenly it would be if I could wake up just one day and be symptom free.  Just one day would be amazing.  I would be so grateful.  Our nightly talks usually include our dreams and fantasies, what ifs, and somedays so this was just a typical night staring at the stars.  With a deep sigh we said goodnight and headed off to bed.  I fell asleep thinking about my wishes.

With freshly uploaded music on my ipod, I set out for my morning run.  I was so glad to get through the entire run without getting sick.  I did have to rush to the bathroom as soon as I got home, but that is still an accomplishment.  Thereafter I did not have a stomach ache.  I usually do not vocalize things that like that right away in fears of jinxing it.  After a shower, laundry, cleaning, cooking, and of course NFL football I told my husband my wish had come true.  I went through nearly an entire Sunday with little to no symptoms.  It was something I could have never expected and am so grateful.  Unfortunately, the Dallas Cowboys choked again so my bubble had a little leak, but beggars can't be choosers.

Sunday was also the tenth anniversary of the terrible September 11, 2001.  With all the raw emotion floating around it was hard not to shed a tear.  I am thankful that I did not lose anybody close to me that day.  I am thankful that although our lives have changed, we are still very blessed to live freely.  I realized my five year old will look at this day in history books the way I see Pearl Harbor Day.  I will do my best to teach him what the world was like before September 11th, and instill in him an open heart.

Sunday was also my son's first day of catechism.  I am not Catholic, but my husband's family is.  It is very important for him to raised in the church.  I am a faithful, religious person.  I was raised Presbyterian, and that's where I am most comfortable. I believe as long as you learn how to be a good person, it does not matter what label you put on it.  I also think it is important for him to see that there is a higher power in control so he does not need to worry.  He absolutely loved it.  After only an hour's time he came home with so much information.  The smile on his face was unforgettable.

Today is a rough one.  I am exhausted, weak, and fogging.  Body aches today are constant.  I also have a headache that will not quit.  No matter what the day has to offer, I always try to find the silver lining.  I have only a slight ache in my belly and have not had to rush to the bathroom once today.  I have been hungry and able to eat without additional medication.  There is no soccer practice, church activities, or prior engagements so I get to relax and enjoy Monday Night Football.

The silver linings outshine the rain falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment