Monday, April 16, 2012

Juggling Act

I guess it's time for another check in.  I would like to write something once a week to keep things predictable, but I have come to learn that is easier said than done.  I did not set out to have a blog with constant updates of tests and procedures along with results, but that seems to be what is consuming my life these days.

Most recently I had follow up appointments with a few of my doctors.  Most important would have to be the gastroenterologist.  As many of my readers know, I have been dealing with numerous digestive issues for several years.  This past year has been by far the most difficult.  I have been on treatment for pernicious anemia, celiac disease, as well as chronic inflammatory bowel disease but I have still been plagued with symptoms.  My doctor decided to order a gastric emptying study.  I assumed this would come back with nothing because the majority of my pain and discomfort are in my lower abdomen.  Out of sheer desperation for relief and lack of motivation to argue, I agreed to the test.

The next day I went to our local hospital, fasting.  I was feed one radio-active scrambled egg.  I was laid on a table, and x-rays were taking every minute for the next 90 minutes to follow the egg through my stomach.  2 weeks later, I am laying in bed with my husband as we are both sick from "the crud" (sinus infection from hell) and my phone rings.  The nurse from my GI tells me the study came back abnormal.  My stomach is functioning at less than 50%.  "That's not good" she says. 

Turns out, I now have been diagnosed with gastroparesis.  Literally, my stomach is paralyzed.  Now, this is a common complication of diabetics, which I am.  The interesting part about it is, I have complained of these symptoms since I was pregnant with my son who is now 6.  I have been told over and over that it sounded like I may have gastroparesis, but that only happens after decades of uncontrolled high blood sugars.  So, not one doctor ever tested for it.  After some research, I learn now that it is also a complication of patients with connective tissue disease, which I also have.  Ggrreeaatt!

I have been on a new medication, Erythromycin, to treat this for about 5 days.  I have to say I am showing signs of improvement.  I will not lie.  I do not enjoy this.  I am not looking forward to my future.  I am 29 years old and, at this point, I am completely overwhelmed with the amount of health issues I have to juggle and balance everyday. 

To add to that, I have had a pain in my outer right thigh for several months.  I have an insulin pump that is constantly attached to my hip so initially I thought I was rubbing my thigh with it every time I would go to the bathroom or change clothes.  I ignored the pain and tried to be more conscious of how rough I was on my body.  The pain never ceased and a lump started to appear.  I had an MRI done.  Thankfully, all that showed was some nerve inflammation.  This is also due to my connective tissue disease.  I will be starting physical therapy for that tomorrow.  Hopefully, relief will come easy with this ailment.

In the meantime, I continue to enjoy the time I have with my family.  My son just finished his spring soccer season.  I must say, seeing six year olds navigate their way through a soccer game is some of the best entertainment.  The pure joy and innocence of the children.  It keeps you grounded and reminds you what life is really about.  I have also come to terms with the idea that being a long distance runner is no longer in the cards for me so I have taken to enjoying long walks with our dogs, Roxy a 2 year old hound dog and Chewy a 9 1/2 year old chiweenie.  Every morning I take them out for an hour or so and we enjoy the spring sunrise.  God is amazing when you take a moment to look around and see all the beauty he has created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment