Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Acceptance is Key

  Today is 7 days out from my surgery to replace the battery in my gastric stimulator. It was such a difficult decision to make, but I have not questioned it since. I know I made the best decision for my lifestyle. I needed to gain better control of my brittle Type I diabetes while still being able to stay active. I was certain I was doing the right thing, but was waiting to feel that "buyers' remorse" type regret. I was afraid I would wake up from surgery and start thinking of the "shoulda done"s. That has not happened once which is such a relief!

  The dynamic of gastroparesis and diabetes is that of a toxic relationship. One entity trying to dominate the other. I have always been active. I was taught healthy eating at a young age and that just got more intense once I was diagnosed with diabetes. As a Type I we are able to eat like anyone else, we just give ourselves insulin to cover the carbohydrates in food. I began to limit simple sugars like candy once I was diagnosed, but we all should do that anyway. When being educated on insulin dosing and carb counting you learn there are different carbs like complex or simple. Simple carbs go through your body quickly causing a quick spike in blood sugar followed by a quick drop. Complex carbs are slow to digest so they help maintain a more even blood sugar. Think about pouring plain table sugar through a straw. It's like a pixie stick. Quick. Then think about adding crumbled oats to that table sugar and you would imagine it would disrupt the flow taking the sugar a longer amount of time to clear the straw. Same thing with your digestive system.

  Now, usually insulin starts to act within 15 minutes and continues working for about 2 hours. That would be great if you had a meal with protein and complex carbs like eggs with whole wheat toast. That would make a graph of your blood sugars look like rolling hills. If you ate Lucky Charms instead you would see the Rocky Mountains on that graph. The idea is to keep the rolling hills. So what happens when your body does not digest in the normal fashion? Mountains, valleys, hills, the works. Gastroparesis starts to win the battle over insulin.

  With gastroparesis food stays in my stomach for days. Yes, I said days. On top of that, sometimes things get pushed through by other food, sometimes it travels at a semi-normal speed, and sometimes nothing moves. Liquids are the easiest thing to move. We all know that fiber, fat, and protein slow the digestion process. Most healthy diets use them to help maintain steady blood sugars, even in non-diabetics. Typically a diabetic diet is high fiber, high protein, and good fats. Gastroparesis has limited me to 5 grams of fat per day, 10-15 grams of protein, and 10-15 grams of fiber per day. THAT IS NOTHING. Yet my stomach still is not moving food. So what does this mean?

  This means I am eating a diet that is 100% against the diabetic diet or the "Lauren" diet I used to love. I am eating only simple sugars with very little protein or fiber. But remember, my belly is not moving or digesting. I cannot give myself insulin right before I eat. It usually needs to be after because my body doesn't even begin to absorb the sugar right away. Usually 1-2 hours after I give myself insulin for a meal my numbers are fairly good. But wait an hour beyond that, then the next and suddenly my blood sugar is through the roof. Why? Well, because I gave myself insulin for the meal I was eating, not for the food that is in my belly. When food moves from the stomach to the small intestine, that is where most of the sugar is absorbed. Without knowing exactly what is moving from one organ to the next it is incredibly hard to predict what may be absorbed. All I know is what I just ate. Sound confusing? IT IS! And the worst part, no doctor can give you advice. They can monitor you, but they cannot tell you how to predict something or how to safely prevent more damage. Gut motility disorders are not well understood.

  When the battery went out on the gastric stimulator I had no idea. What did start to happen, and should have been my first clue, was my blood sugar would drop way too low after eating then spike way too high 3-4 hours later, remaining high for hours. If I tried to correct, it would plummet. I thought I was stressed out and adrenaline was causing some wacky things. Not the case. I was not digesting, moving, or absorbing properly. I could tell I was struggling to digest because the easiest things were starting to feel like bricks in my belly. I have said this before, but it feels like I eat an entire fast food meal plus a large pizza all by myself. I almost feel the fullness all the way in my throat. I don't even remember what it feels like to eat a regular meal and just feel satisfied. I always feel deprived, yet always feel incredibly full.

  As you can imagine, this wears on my emotions. Food is such an integral part of our culture. We have feasts for big holidays and cook-outs or gatherings to celebrate anything we can imagine. We meet up for lunch, dinner, or drinks just to catch up with a friend. Food is everywhere. As this disease progresses, and it is happening faster as I age, I am having to limit more and more while simplifying more and more. I spent hours on the computer last night looking up recipe ideas and anything else to help me feel more "normal". Of course, this is not the first time I have done this kind of research. Since so little is understood about motility disorders there is little to be found.

  I have discovered little tricks along the way. One of my tricks is exercise. More important is exercise involving twisting or crunching always involving the use of gravity to help break the food down while shaking it through my belly into the small intestine. Walking, yoga, pilates and similar exercises are my go to. The problem is I am having to do these things more than I want now. Most days I end up working out 2-3 times per day for at least 30 minutes. As much as I like to be active I also want to be lazy. On top of that, the exercise burns a lot of calories I just tried to consume. So I eat then exercise or just not eat at all. Neither of those options are good, mentally or physically. 

  I spent a lot of last night in tears. Then my ninja girl comes out and says "I will conquer this." Then I get mad. And the cycle often continues, but it ALWAYS passes. I just explained to my husband that I am envious of those of you who can eat regularly. I don't think I remember what a normal gut feels like. I want to run and jump and swim and hike. But I can't. Not just because of the gastroparesis,  but the other diseases limit me also. I want to be able to eat at a restaurant or leave the house without having to pack my own food. I miss baked goods so much. It is this all encompassing deprivation.

  My positive self comes out when I start to spiral like this. I have options. I spent today making chicken noodle soup, chicken with rice soup, and peeled and sliced potatoes I bake with a tiny amount of olive oil. My parents generously drove 2 hours to go to Whole Foods and grab me some unsweetened peanut butter and dairy free yogurt. I have plenty of frozen fruit I can use to make smoothies. I can tolerate eggs now that the battery has been replaced. Unfortunately, that is the extent of the excitement. Notice there is nothing crunchy on this list. Also, the soups do not have any vegetables because I cannot tolerate them. No beef or pork. No spices. No condiments really. So, I have options but not many. A human being instinctively needs to chomp. Eating pureed foods, soups, and baked potatoes does not give you that crunch. It seems like even if I do all the right things I will still feel deprived. It is overwhelming and unfair. Who said life was fair, right?

  The one tool I hang on to is gratitude. I do thank my body for allowing me to wake up everyday. I thank my body for the ability to move. I am proud of myself for continuing to fight this battle. I am proud of myself for finding something to smile or laugh about EVERYDAY. I hold onto my intention for every action. Sometimes my intention for a morning workout is simply to ground myself and not focus on the benefits it is having on the disease I fight. Sometimes my intention for an afternoon unplugged is to be present with my son. Most days my intention is to be me. I have so much to be thankful for. I complain. I whine. But I know my struggles are minuscule compared to so many others. As I enter this new chapter my intention is to accept. One of the biggest causes for depression is not accepting your challenges. I will learn and adapt as the diseases progress. I remind myself that I have faced similar challenges in the past and made it through. There is always a rainbow at the end of a storm. Usually that rainbow is that the challenge made me a better person. This too will make me stronger. I may desire more than I have, but when I look at how strong this has all made me I know the grass is not always greener on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment